Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a deceased family member or you chose to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: donate your used hearing aids instead of getting rid of.
There are a lot of people suffering from hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and a number of institutions out there that acquire and distribute those hearing aids to the people in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can do it.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Approximately 14% of the total population, has loss of hearing
- 91% of adults suffering from loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who need hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
This is very troubling. Because health problems like cognitive decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been linked to untreated hearing loss. As a matter of fact, new studies come out every day showing how important hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health issues (and in certain situations even reverse them).
And the last compelling fact is that loss of hearing can cost the typical family $12,000 in income each year. But hearing aids can actually reduce that cost by as much as 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may simply not be possible for them to afford a hearing aid.
Your old hearing aid can have an enormous effect, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who could not normally afford a hearing aid. It may also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they are unable to hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and see us so we can guide you on the right recycling choice for you. Or give us a call.